What Is The Best Self Defense Ammo For Shotguns
When you’re talking about home protection, you are more likely to take out a home invader quicker with a defense shotgun than with a handgun due to the sheer stopping power of the “gauge”. Having said that, you also have to consider what is the best self defense ammo for that “gauge”.
If you have the proper home defense shotgun rounds, then your shotgun will be more effective as a defense tool for home protection against whatever comes your way.
Birdshot should not be used as home defense shotgun rounds
If you plan on using birdshot as self defense rounds, it is prudent to remember that your shot probably won’t generate an incapacitating wound. Birdshot is too light of a round to do any severe damage. Something heavier like #1 buckshot or 00 buck is the best self defense round.
#1 buckshot would be more likely to create a superior “take down wound” over 00 buck and 000 buck and not as likely to have the hazard of passing through the invader’s body and hitting something behind them. #1 buckshot can be hard to find, therefore 00 buck is the next best choice.
If you’re concerned that missing the target and breaching the wall could cause unintentional injury to someone else, then one thought would be to have your home protection shotgun loaded with #6 birdshot for the first round that you will be firing. Then follow that with your number 1 lead buckshot if you have a 12 gauge or number 3 lead buckshot if you have a 20 gauge.
That way if you miss with the first round, you won’t have to worry as much about shooting through the wall and hitting a family member.
Also if you don’t persuade the home invader to turn back with the first round of birdshot, then you can let them have it with the heavier buckshot and take them down.
We will talk more on the ballistics of the different shotgun rounds and wound trauma in a future article.
Shotgun is cheaper and so is the ammo
Typically you should be able to buy a dependable, good quality shotgun at a cheaper price than you would spend for a handgun with equal value. Something else to think about, if you use low cost birdshot shot gun rounds for target practice; you will save about 25% of the cost of the same number of rounds of handgun ammo used for the same purpose.
When a person buys a firearm for home protection, what are the main reasons why they choose a shotgun?
First would be to have less breaching of the surrounding walls caused by a shot that missed its target. This would help lower the risk of accidentally injuring someone in an adjacent room.
Second would be to do the most damage per shot and take down that violent attacker as fast as you can to end the threat.
Third is because when a person is using a shotgun as opposed to a handgun for home protection, it is easier for the less experienced shooter to hit what you’re shooting at.
Get Training for your self defense shotgun
Looking to buy that self defense shotgun for home protection or maybe you bought one already. It’s a good idea to think about getting some training on how to use your shotgun effectively and what is the best self defense ammo for home protection per your particular situation. There are quite a few training schools that offer weekend courses. Google it to find one in your area.
It would be well worth your time to get the training before you find yourself in a situation where you or your family’s life depends on it.
Incoming search terms:
- best ammo for self defense shotgun
- home protection shotgun ammo
- best 20 gauge ammo for home defense
- what is the best 12 gauge home defense round ?
- what is the best 12 guage ammo for house protection
- t size vs 4 buckshot
- what is the best self defense 12 gauge shotgun ammo
- best protection ammo
- best self defense shotgun
- protection rounds for a shot gun
- protection shotgun ammo
- protection against gun bullets
- is there a best home protection shotgun ammo?
- home protection pistle round
- home protection ammo
- cheap ammo protection shotgun
- buckshot sizes
- buckshot ammo
- recommended 20 gauge shotgun ammo for home defense
- self protection shotguns
- whats the best home protection ammo
- what shotgun ammo for home protection
- what is the best home defense round to use in a 20 gauge shotgun
- what is the best ammo for 12 gage shotgun home protection
- what is best ammo for 12 gauge shotgun for home protection
- what is a good self defense ammo
- what ammo do i use for a shotgun for self protection
- what 12 gauge shell is best for protection
- top self defense gun
- the best shotgun self defense ammunition
- Shotgun Self Defense Loads
- shotgun home protection rounds
- best size buckshot defense
- best shotgun shells for home defense
- best ammunition for home shotgun protection
- best ammo for home protection usong a 12 ga shotgun
- best 20 gauge shell for home protection
- best 20 gauge round for home defense
- best 20 gauge home defense ammo
- best 12guage home protection ammunition?
- best 12g ammo for self defense
- best 12 guage ammo for self defense
- best 12 gauge self defense ammo
- best 12 gauge for home protection
- best 12 gauge ammo for home protection
- 20 gauge shotgun home protection ammo
- 12 gauge target loads for self defense
- Best ammunition for protection using a 12gauge shotgun